Angela Praseuth is a senior at Georgia State University studying Computer Information Systems and Entrepreneurship. She is planning to graduate in spring 2023 and pursue a career in consulting.
In this internship chronicle, Angela tells us about her work experience while attending school.
Who did you work for in your internship experience and for how long?
- I worked for Code Calloway Inc. for 5 months.
Tell us about the organization.
- Code Calloway Inc. is a nonprofit organization that supports, guides, and engages high school students in the post-secondary application process, in hopes of increasing participation in higher education and decreasing chances of incarceration among youth in Georgia.
How did you find out about this opportunity?
- I found this opportunity through Handshake.
How was your experience overall? Would you do it again?
- My overall experience was inspiring and humbling because I had first-hand experience working with the students in their community.
What were the job duties? How did those duties relate to the business/industry?
- I was an executive assistant, which involved working alongside the founder and working in all aspects of the nonprofit. I learned a lot along the way.
How would you explain the working environment? Did you have any problem fitting in or adjusting when you started? Did you do anything to ease that discomfort?
- The work environment was virtual and at times was I didn’t have too much problem fitting in, but adjusting was sometimes challenging for me because the nonprofit was still creating its’ foundation and there was ambiguity around next steps or desired outcomes. I was able to communicate with the executive director to clear up any confusion and concerns.
What did you learn from this experience that you did not know about the industry and why do you think you did not know this?
- Trying to start in the nonprofit sector is very challenging and involves a lot of I didn’t realize how hard it is to help a group of people while trying to build relationships and get individuals to believe in your cause.
Were you able to use any of the information learned in your ENI courses in this internship? If so, what? If not, why not?
- Yes, value proposition and customer segmentation. In this case, what value/ service do we provide for the students and what value can we provide for the schools by working with us.
Would you recommend doing an internship to other students?
- Yes, internships are an important experience to develop skills while getting hands-on experience in the career field you wish to pursue.
Were you challenged to balance work, school, and any home responsibilities?
- YES! With the pandemic and family emergencies, it was difficult to balance my well-being, school, and work. It is still very hard to this very day.
What are the next steps in your career, and do you believe that your internship helped you get closer to your professional goals?
- My next steps are to continue my education and graduate even through life’s difficulties, no matter how many setbacks I face, and to become a consultant. The internship did help me get close to my professional goals because it involved a lot of problem-solving skills, persistence, people skills, and taking initiative.